25 April 2014

25-Apr-2014

The Secret for Perfect Roasted Potatoes and The Creamiest Creamy Sauce EVER

My cooking post continue. I guess this is one of the pro's of being in Spring/Pre-Exam Break. The other one is having enough time to do whatever sports I want to, not just 30 minutes of yoga before bed. Now that I'm more rested and I have more time for myself, I can indulge Mr.Boyfriend with delicious meals that look spectacular. Just yesterday, I again roasted chicken, the same amazing recipe. I also made time to roast potatoes (the star of this post) and to prepare my special cream sauce. Mmm, I'm hungry again!
So, about the potatoes, there are godly, honestly! I've been trying to make the perfect roasted potatoes for a while but they never turned quite right. Either I will overboil them and when I try to roast them I will roast mash instead. Or I'll under-boil them when put them to roast they will turn into tasteless pieces of crisp. I was about to loose hope and just give up when the mother of a friend of mine came to the rescue. She, just like me moved to England when she was around 20-years-old and didn't know any traditional, typical English dishes. It was fine, until she felt inlove and married an Englishman, who every now and then wanted something text-book English for dinner. This is how, after hundreds of trials, she managed to find the perfect formula for golden roasted potatoes. And, with her permission, I'm paying forward the secret. It's so easy that you won't even believe that this is all. Now, to the kitchen table!

Ingredients:


For the Potatoes:


  • 5-6 Big Potatoes or 15-20 Small Potatoes
  • 2-3tbsp All-Purpose Flour
  • 2tsp Sea Salt
  • 3-4tbsp Grease (Olive Oil, Animal Fat, Sunflower Oil, Butter)
  • Spices of your choosing
  • Water for Boiling

For the Sauce:


  • 1tsp Wholegrain Mustard
  • 1tsp French Mustard
  • 1tbsp Butter
  • 10-ish Small Mushrooms
  • 200ml Single Cream
  • Salt and Pepper


How-To:


The Potatoes:


  1. In a deep baking pan put the grease and place the pan in the oven at 180C.
  2. Peel and cut the big potatoes in big pieces, around 6 pieces form a big potato. If you're using small potatoes leave them whole.
  3. Put the potatoes in a big pot, cover them with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to boil.
  4. Boil them for 3 minutes exactly and then take the pot of the hob.
  5. Drain the hot water using colander.
  6. Still using the colander, shake the potatoes well so that they get roughen around the edges.
  7. Sprinkle with the flour and shake well. Then sprinkle with the sea salt and again shake well.
  8. Take the piping hot pan out of the oven and pour the potatoes in it.
  9. Coat the potatoes well (and carefully!!!) in the hot oil.
  10. Bake for 1 hour, turning them around every 20 minutes or so.


The Sauce:


  1. Heat a non-stick pan.
  2. Put the two types of mustard in it and combine together.
  3. In the meantime slice the mushrooms to small pieces.
  4. Add the mushroom and the butter to the mustard mixture and stir well.
  5. When the butter is melted add the cream and stir together.
  6. Add the spices and bring to boil.
  7. Once it starts to boil, turn down the heat and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
  8. Turn off the the heat and serve the sauce warm!

Roasted Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Creamy Sauce, Yummy!





You can't get lost if you don't know where you're going...